On 16 December 2018, LCN brought together 150 organizers, educators and researchers from 24 countries to engage in thought-provoking discussions with peers from around the world.
Below, watch recordings from the event and be sure to subscribe to LCN’s mailing list to receive invitations to future events like this.
LCN’s Relaunch Event
Ana Babovic, LCN’s Executive Director, kicked off the event by telling her story and the story of LCN. She also shared more about what to expect from LCN after the relaunch event.
See the agenda below, with timestamps, for you to follow along for the rest of the recording.
- 0:00 Welcome and Intro to Leading Change Network
- Ana Babovic, Executive Director, LCN
- 11:28 Keynote: Organizing and Mobilizing in the World Today
- Marshall Ganz, Senior Lecturer at Harvard Kennedy School
- Hahrie Han, Anton Vonk Professor of Political Science and
Environmental Politics at the University of California, Santa Barbara
- Moderated by: Art Reyes III, Founder and Executive Director of We the People
- 1:04:51 Introducing LCN’s Community of Practice
- Rawan Zeine, Membership Engagement and Community of Practice Manager, LCN
- 1:18:34 Introducing LCN’s New Member Website
- Matt Vaughan, Communications & Tech Manager, LCN
- 1:27:44 Conclusion
- Ana Babovic, Executive Director, LCN
Discussion Breakout Rooms
Organizations Spreading the LCN Pedagogy Around the World
We held a discussion about different models that organizations have built using LCN’s Pedagogy. Presenters in this session were:
- Nisreen Haj Ahmad (Co-Founder and Co-Director from Ahel in the Arab World)
- Predrag Stojicic (ReThink Health)
- Marina Pavlic (President of Serbia on the Move)
This session was moderated by Jeff Rousset (Organizer/Trainer from Indivisible Massachusetts).
Scaling Leadership in Organizing Campaigns
Organizing requires building our community’s leadership and keeping them engaged throughout the campaign and after.
We held a discussion about different ways organizations have brought constituencies together as well as retained and sustained organizers as they scale or transition into new campaigns. Presenters were:
- Linda Hutchins-Knowles (Co-Founder and Coach of the South Bay Team from Mothers Out Front)
- Art Reyes III (Founder and Executive Director of We the People)
- Kanoko Kamata (Co-Founder of Community Organizing Japan)
This session was moderated by Michael Gagne (former Regional Programs Manager of the Environmental Leadership Program).
Teaching Organizing Online and On the Ground
Organizing is a craft; and as with any craft, training and practice is necessary. We held a discussion about different ways organizing is being taught online and on-ground. Presenters were:
- Uyen Doan (Head Teaching Fellow 2018 of the Harvard Executive Education Program: Leadership Organizing and Action: Leading Change)
- Conor Hand (Executive Director and Co-Founder of the Resistance School)
- Jens Kristian Rasmussen (External Lecturer at the University of Copenhagen)
This session was moderated by Sachiko Osawa (Head Teaching Fellow 2019 of the of the Harvard Executive Education Program: Leadership Organizing and Action: Leading Change).
Harnessing the Power of Public Narrative
Public narrative is how we learn to access the emotional or moral resources to motivate people to take action in the face of uncertainty.
We held a discussion on how to take the craft of narrative outside the workshop and into the world. Presenters were:
- Abel Cano (Founder/Executive Director of The Arc of Change)
- Junko Yoda (Co-Founder of CLinked)
- Jeremy Ornstein (Fellow from the Sunrise Movement)
This session was moderated by Mais Irquisi (Founder and Manager of Community Organizing Europe and co-founder of Ahel).
Unfortunately, due to a technical glitch, we were unable to recover the recording from the public narrative room.
There will be many more opportunities to hear from leaders in the LCN Community about topics such as public narrative at upcoming LCN events. Be sure to subscribe to LCN’s mailing list to hear about these events and more from LCN.
LCN’s Relaunch Event was only the beginning for LCN’s next chapter.