Effective movement structures – what does that look like?
Since its launch in 2017, the Sunrise Movement has succeeded in pushing climate change onto the national political agenda and mobilizing tens of thousands of youths in local hubs across the United States.
But in recent years, they began experiencing limitations around how the movement was structured – including tensions around engaging local volunteers in national decision-making processes, challenges in base building beyond the movement core, and questions on how to govern democratically as a movement.
With the evolving political and organizing landscape, one thing became clear: the movement needed intentional structures to support their powerful organizing.
And these challenges are not limited to the Sunrise Movement – many movements and organizations are finding that as they grow and adapt, they also need to revisit and redesign the structures they began with.
Come learn how the Sunrise Movement are tackling these challenges to start reimagining their movement structure. Join us on Tuesday, December 6th 1:30-3:00pm Eastern Time!
We will be joined by Dejah Powell from the Sunrise Movement, along with Jake Waxman and Rohit Gawande from the team at Leading Change Network who worked with the Sunrise Team. We will start the event with opening words from Marshall Ganz, followed by presentations and interactive panel discussion with the speakers on the process, challenges, and lessons in reimagining their movement structure.
About the Speakers
- Dejah Powell, Movement Democracy Director (formerly lead Structure team in Frontloading process) at the Sunrise Movement
- Jake Waxman, Campaign Trainer and Coach
- Rohit Gawande, Investment Principal at Mulago Foundation, Public Narrative Coach
Whether you are grappling with challenges of structure within your own movement or organization, or supporting other organizations to strengthen theirs, this session is a perfect space to learn and reflect – we invite you to explore with us questions around how movements can build effective structures for powerful campaigning!
- What: Lessons, explorations, and challenges in structure from the Sunrise Movement
- When: December 6th Tuesday 10:30am-12:00pm Pacific Time / 1:30-3:00pm Eastern Time / 7:30-9:00pm Central European Time
- How: Click here to register (registration deadline: December 6th)
This session is free and open to all, and everyone is welcome.
We look forward to learning with you on December 6th!