- Andrew Carson-Stevens, Eva Patel, Sarah L Nutt, Jay Bhatt and Sukhmeet S Panesar 2013 The social movement drive: a role for junior doctors in healthcare reform Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, Volume 106, Issue 8 (August 2013), pp. 305-309
- Hahrie Han, Marshall Ganz, Kenneth T. Andrews, Matthew Baggetta, Chaeyoon Lim 2011 The Relationship of Leadership Quality to the Political Presence of Civic Associations Perspectives on Politics, Volume 9, Issue 01 (March 2011 ), pp. 45-59
- Kenneth Andrew, Marshall Ganz, Matthew Baggetta, Hahrie Han, Chaeyoon Lim 2010 Leadership, Membership, and Voice: Civic Associations That Work American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 115, No. 4. (1 January 2010), pp. 1191-1242
- Ariane Liazos, Marshall Ganz 2004 Duty to the Race: African-American Fraternals and the Right to Organize Social Science History, Vol. 28, No. 3 (2004) pp. 485-534
- Marshall Ganz 2001 “ Motor Voter or Motivated Voter: The Impact of the 1993 Voter Registration Reform Act on American Politics” The American Prospect, December 2001
- Theda Skocpol, Marshall Ganz, Ziad Munson 2000 A Nation of Organizers: The Institutional Origins of Civic Voluntarism in the United States American Political Science Review, Vol. 94, No. 3 (Sep., 2000), pp. 527-546
- Marshall Ganz 2000 “ Resources and Resourcefulness: Leadership, Strategy and Organization in the Unionization of California Agriculture (1959-1966)“ American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 105, No. 4 (Jan., 2000), pp. 1003-1062
- Marshall Ganz 1994 “ Voters in the Crosshairs: How Markets and Technology are Destroying Politics” The American Prospect, January 1996
- Marshall Ganz 2014. “Not the Cesar Chavez I knew” The Nation, April 1, 2014
- Marshall Ganz 2012 “Organizing as a Campaign Strategy” Mobilizing Ideas, September 3, 2012
- Marshall Ganz 2012 “We can be actors, not just spectators” New Statesman, July 11, 2012
- Marshall Ganz 2010 “How Obama lost his voice, and how he can get it back” Los Angeles Times, Novermber 3, 2010
- Marshall Ganz, Kate Hilton 2009 “ The New Generation of Organizers” Shelterforce , Fall/Winter 2009
- Marshall Ganz, Peter Dreier 2009 “We Have Hope; Where’s the Audacity?” The Washington Post, August 30, 2009
- Marshall Ganz 2009 “ Why Stories Matter: The art and craft of social change” Sojourners 38, No. 3 16, March 2009
- Marshal Ganz 2007 “ Staying Connected to Our Moral Sources” Talking Points Memo (TPM), March 29, 2007
- Marshall Ganz 2007 “ Organizing for Democratic Renewal” Talking Points Memo (TPM), March 27, 2007
- Marshall Ganz 2007 “ Hillel’s Three Questions: A Call to Leadership“ Sh’ma, A Journal of Jewish Ideas, January 2007
- Marshall Ganz 2002 “ What Is Organizing? ” Social Policy Vol. 33, No. 2 , Fall 2002
- Marshall Ganz 2009 “ Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement” Oxford University Press
- Theda Skocpol, Ariane Liazos, Marshall Ganz 2006 “ What a Mighty Power We Can Be: African American Fraternal Groups and the Struggle for Racial Equality” Princeton University Press
Chapters in Books
- Marshall Ganz 2011 “ Public Narrative, Collective Action, and Power“, Chapter 18 in Accountability Through Public Opinion: From Inertia to Public Action, Edited by Sina Odugbemi and Taeku Lee (Washington, DC: The World Bank, 2011), p. 273-289
- Marshall Ganz 2010 “ Leading Change: Leadership, Organization and Social Movements“, Chapter 19 in the Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice, Edited by Nitin Nohria and Rakesh Khurana (Danvers: Harvard Business School Press, 2010), p. 509-550
- Marshall Ganz, Chaeyoon Lim, Matthew Baggetta, Kenneth Andrews, Hahrie Han 2010 “ Learning Civic Leadership: Leader Skill Development in the Sierra Club” Interest Group Politics. Ed. Allan J. Cigler and Burdett A. Loomis. (CQ Press, 2010), p. 110-138
- Marshall Ganz, Emily Lin 2010 “ Learning to Lead: Pedagogy of Practice“ Chapter 22 in the Handbook for Teaching Leadership. Ed. Nitin Nohria, Rakesh Khurana and Scott Snook. (SAGE Publications, 2011), p.353-366
- Marshall Ganz 2009 “Thoughts on Power, Organization and Leadership” Dispatches from the Religious Left: The Future of Faith and Politics in America. Ed. Frederick Clarkson. (Ig Publishing, 2009), p. 141-152
- Marshall Ganz 2004 “ Organizing as Leadership“ in Encyclopedia of Leadership, Edited by George Goethals, Georgia Sorenson, and James MacGregor Burns, (SAGE Publications, 2004), p. 1134-1144
- Marshall Ganz , Kim Voss, Teresa Sharpe, Carl Somers, George Strauss 2004 “ Against the Tide: Projects and Pathways of the New Generation of Union Leaders, 1984-2001” Chapter 6 in Rebuilding Labor: Organizing and Organizers in the New Union Movement, Edited by Ruth Milkman and Kim Voss, (ILR Press, Cornell University Press, 2004), p. 150-194
- Marshall Ganz 2004 “ Why David Sometimes Wins: Strategic Capacity in Social Movement” Chapter 10 in The Psychology of Leadership: New Perspectives and Research, Edited by David M. Messick and Roderick M. Kramer, (Erlbaum Press, 2004), p. 209-238
- Theda Skocpol, Marshall Ganz , et al 1999 “ How Americans Became Civic” Chapter in Civic Engagement in American Democracy (Brookings Institute Press and Russell Sage Foundation, 1999), p. 27-80
- Marshall Ganz , Margaret Weir 1997 “ Reconnecting People and Politics” Chapter in The New Majority: Toward a Popular Progressive Politics, Edited by Stanley B. Greenberg and Theda Skocpol, (Yale University Press, 1997), p. 149-171
- Marshall Ganz 2009 “ Organizing Obama: Campaign, Organization, Movement” , Presented at the American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, August, 2009
- Marshall Ganz 2008 “ Hope in the Story of Hagar, Sarah, and Abraham“
- Marshall Ganz 2008 “ What Is Public Narrative: Self, Us & Now“
- Marshall Ganz 2006 “ Reflections on the Binding of Isaac“
- Marshall Ganz 2006 “ Left Behind: Social Movements, Parties, and the Politics of Reform” , Presented at the American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, Montreal, August 2006.
- Marshall Ganz 2003 “ Reflections on Faith and Politics“
- Marshall Ganz 2001 “ The Power of Story in Social Movements” , Presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, Anaheim, CA. August 2001.
Kennedy School Cases
- KSG Case 1603.2. “KMart Union in Greensboro Fights for a Contract (Teaching Note),” by Taeku Lee and Marshall Ganz . 6/20/02.
- Leadership Development Project: Pilot Project Report and Recommendations. Report to the National Sierra Club. Co-authors Marshall Ganz and Ruth Wageman. Presented in San Francisco, May 8, 2008.
- National Purpose, Local Action: Sources of Chapter and Group Effectiveness, Report to the National Sierra Club. With Kenneth Andrews, Hahrie Han, Chaeyoon Lim, Matthew Baggetta. Presented in San Francisco, CA September 10, 2005.
- The Right Prescription: A Call to Action on the use of Antipsychotic Drugs for People with Dementia. Mobilizing and organizing for large scale change in healthcare. Alan Boyd, Bernard Burnes, Elaine Clark, and Dr. Adrian Nelson. November 2013.
- Leaders Everywhere: The story of NHS Change Day. A learning report by Kate B. Hilton and Chris Lawrence-Pietroni . November 2013.