07 Sep Global Gathering Coordinator
Job Title: Global Gathering Coordinator
Starts February 2018
Application deadline: October 20th, 2017
The Global Gathering crowns LCN’s achievements in the year coming to an end, and launches its next year’s programs. It is the only in-person event organized by the LCN. LCN members are invited to take part in this unique event for 3-4 days, to celebrate the best learning events, the best organizing, and the achievements. At the event, members have the opportunity to learn from each other’s experiences, guest speakers and trainers, as well as coach one another. They build relationships, which promote further collaboration and solidarity among their campaigns and movements. At the Global Gathering, LCN will announce its next year’s program and members will kick start some of next year’s “community in action” activities. The Global Gathering Coordinator is in charge of all aspects pertaining to scheduling, designing and organizing the yearly in-person global gathering. This is a particularly important position, because all past evaluations have shown that LCN members value this gathering the most. While preparing for the event and attending it, the LCN members build strong personal relationships, learn from each other and grow stronger together. The Global Gathering Coordinator is expected to ensure that the event is organized in a place that is most welcoming and accessible to all. His/Her success is evident when the Gathering proves to be worth everyone’s time. Ultimately, the most important criterion for success is when the Global Gathering is designed and run in a participatory way by members themselves. That is when the participants really establish connections and strong bonds, while they design, prepare for and run their own sessions to the highest capacity. The Coordinator is expected to work collaboratively with other LCN team members and the Gathering organizing committee/team.
- Develops the Concept Note for the Global Gathering and all materials required for securing the necessary funds for the event;
- Designs the Global Gathering and its sessions to meet the set objectives;
- Schedules the Global Gathering and determines location;
- Ensures booking of adequate space and accommodation;
- Organizes the Global Gathering in all aspects, hiring any necessary support staff (e.g. logistics/travel assistants, etc.) as appropriate;
- Determines participants, speakers and hosts, and ensures smooth participation of all;
- Develops conference-related materials for promoting it in the membership base,together with the LCN communication and tech manager;
- Ensures that conference registration materials and all other conference-related (incl. Individual sessions) materials are well developed;
- Builds and manages the Gathering organizing team, preferably selected among the LCN members;
- Creates and develops the Global Gathering budget and contracts, and keeps record of all associated financial expenses (incl. invoices and bills) in collaboration with LCN’s accountant;
- Leads the team that will create, design and disseminate the Global Gathering report;
- Ensures proper evaluation of the Global Gathering;
- Documents learning, follow-up and evaluation in a manual, which would be used when preparing the following year’s Global Gathering.
Candidate profile and qualifications
- Passion and commitment to global justice, human rights, citizen empowerment and social change;
- Knowledge of the community organizing framework developed by Marshall Ganz and associates is required. Experience in organizing in the field is preferred;
- Experience in organizing and effectively managing conferences and international gatherings;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong interest in organizing learning spaces and learning experiences;
- Ability to manage all aspects of conference programming including marketing, negotiations, financials and execution;
- Technology skills relevant to registration, presentation and communication;
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Readiness to work across different time zones globally;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Fluency in English is a requirement. Fluency in other languages is desirable;
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture;
- Strong project management skills with ability to maintain processes, systems, and workflows, and ensure adherence and follow-up;
- Good at multitasking and working under pressure while coordinating many people and many demands;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers, our members, and the general public.
LCN is a global virtual organization, with most of our work done over email, telephone, internet and other modern technologies. Our staff are based in cities all over the world and meet at team retreats three times a year.
This role is a task-based contract with a lump sum payment for part-time work over six months. The responsibility ends a month after the Global Gathering is completed until it restarts again the following year.
Apply to Join Us
Before COB October 20th, 2017 ET time, send an email with one attachment – a file that includes both your letter of interest and your CV – to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to state in your letter of interest how you became knowledgeable of the community organizing framework Marshall Ganz and associates developed. Please write the job title you are applying for in the subject of the email. If you are shortlisted you will be contacted for an interview and for letters of reference.